Thursday, August 18, 2016

Marquette County Fair: Emma's (Belated) Overview

Fair festivities were in full swing last week besides the buckets upon buckets of rain we received Thursday through Saturday. The rain only seemed to put a damper on the carnival rides and postponed a few of the activities in the horse arena, but it didn't seem to have any affect on attendence! Truth be told, I think the rain helped draw everyone to the Expo Building, which meant that our first fair outing was a complete success.

Also, my apologies for the blog being late. There was lots going on this week with the fair open from 10 am to 10 pm every day, checking on the real ponies, comic books arriving, and my boyfriend leaving for college. Needless to say it's been just a little bit hectic, but hopefully I can make up for that with plenty of pics of PPS from the week.


Painting supplies were always at the ready.
Before the painting became too hectic, my mom and I decided to each paint a pony. (Mine is the little abstract Appy pony up top.) 

Once things picked up on Thursday night, our booth was completely crammed! However, that's something you can quote my mother on and not me-- I left approximately half an hour before the rush started in order to get to Alec's play on time. I kept getting texts throughout the night relaying to me which horses were selling and how many kids were at the tables. Sounds like it was quite the interesting experience. Sorry I wasn't there, mom!




What pretty ponies!

M&T members Garrett and Morgan painting some Halloween-themed ponies.

My dad even got in on the action with his one job being the resident "pony dryer".


Aren't those ponies just the coolest? We had some more throughout the weekend, but these pictures were just from Thursday! 

But there was a bit more fun around our booth than just painting ponies. Across from us was the "Children's Entertainment"- Cirque Amongus with Sem, Teresa, and Nash and The Magic of Jim Mitchell. 



Trying out the tightrope!

My 4H kids suckered me into going for a ride on the six-person party bike... in the rain.

Jim and his Macaw, Toby, were an absolute hit!
Three shows a day for four days makes a total of twelve shows over the week, but they never got old. Both acts managed to change it up for everybody, and Jim's hypnosis shows were absolutely hilarious to take in! It was awesome to hang out with them all week; I'm really hoping that they come back next year. 

As the week kept progressing, the number of horses sold and ponies painted just kept increasing. We had to go home every night and pack at least four boxes of horses to bring back so we could restock for the next day. There was something different every day at our booth.

As of now, I can safely say that a good portion of the horses pictured found good homes at the fair!

M&T members hung around for a little tutorial on how to do that "abstract Appaloosa" coloring.





On one of our slow mornings, I maybe painted another horse... maybe.





Thanks to everyone who attended for making this past week a really positive one for Paint Pony Studios! We can't wait for next year's fair!

~Emma

No comments:

Post a Comment